This summer I had the pleasure of working with Prof. Nilton Renno and his electric field sensor both at the University of Michigan and at NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC). The sensor is an electric field mill composed of a conductive rotating cylinder divided into four electrically isolated quadrants. When the cylinder rotates, the charge must redistribute across the quadrants producing a current proportional to the electric field. A picture of the sensor can be found below. An important aspect of this sensor versus other electric field sensors is that the system is not electrically grounded. This allows for the sensor to take measurements even when subjected to the impact of charged particles. The idea behind the sensor is to look at charge build up during dust storms, dust devils, and wind-blown sand and to determine what impact it has on atmospheric chemistry. Our design requirements are being developed with a Martian environment in mind as we are looking at having the sensor flown to Mars on the 2018 MAX-C/ExoMars mission.

In addition to the potential applications in space, Professor Renno has a startup company in the North Campus Research Complex called EngXT. Through EngXT, we are commercializing the sensor for use in the electrostatic discharge industry and other potential industrial applications. The foreseen markets include semiconductor manufacturers, lightning detection, and power line field dispersion. While at U of M, I ran several tests in the Space Physics Research Laboratory’s (SPRL) copper room to characterize the second generation of the sensor. My results were used to demonstrate to potential customers how the sensor performs. My other responsibilities included mentoring two high school interns in our lab. I taught them how to assemble the sensors, allowing them to conduct a field campaign on the El Dorado Dry Lake Bed outside of Boulder City, NV.

The second half of my summer I moved my research to GRC, where I worked on repairing one sensor and writing a proposal to attain funding to develop the sensor’s third generation. Before coming out to Glenn I was tasked to create assembly and disassembly procedures for the second-generation sensors. When first arriving at GRC, my mentor and I spent time repairing some very brittle wires that connect to the motor. Due to strict tolerances, theses wires are fragile and have to be manipulated a lot. I also had the chance to help setup a test with our sensor to diagnose the electric field of a solar panel behind a Faraday cage. A large portion of my time was spent putting together a proposal to combine the benefits of the first two sensor generations into an optimized design. I am receiving my Masters in Space Systems Engineering, so this was right up my alley. I put together a Gantt chart, work breakdown schedule, CAD models of concepts, and combined work from contractors to make a complete proposal. The proposal is due the week after I leave and hopefully GRC will start work on the next version in March 2012. I can be seen working on the motor in the following picture.

I learned a lot of valuable skills this summer. I worked with all age groups- from the high school students at U of M to people on the verge of retiring at GRC. A big takeaway is that prototypes are not meant to be tampered with! This is what lead to the headaches with the latest sensor. I also learned how the government works, which should be a class on its own. With the experience I have attained this summer, I am more confident in my ability as an engineer and am ready to enter the work force this winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




รบ

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by Gecko & Amp modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.